Friday, January 22, 2010

New Starts

I think most people can remember how they felt at the beginning of every new school year. The excitement that came with a new teacher, new classmates and more importantly, knowing that you would be learning new 'things'. You could put the previous years behind you, ticking them off the list, because this was a fresh start and a chance to do even better than the year before.

For me, I took comfort in knowing there was a beginning, a middle and an end. A deadline, if you will, to get things done. Now, I'm not quite sure why I liked this framework as I've always been a procrastinator. Maybe it was knowing that if it wasn't a stellar year, it would end, at a known point in time and I would have my glorious summer to get over it. Then of course, with hope springing eternally along, I would have yet another year to start all over again...

Well, it's been ages since I was in a classroom, with deadlines and goals spelled out for me. But like most everyone, I've set certain goals for myself over the years; some accomplished but most not. I have a million excuses for why I haven't attained some of these goals but the bottom line is, it's on me. We make choices, for a myriad of reasons, but the fact remains, WE make the choices.

So here I am, at a point in my life where I feel free to make some choices that I've been afraid to make before now. It's very exciting, a little scary ( no, really, it's a lot scary) but I'm going to jump in and do it.

If you're interested in what this might all be about, I invite you to follow my blog. Yes, I really will keep up with it, if for no other reason than to keep myself on track and accountable. So, to misquote a line from the the movie "All About Eve", "Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy ride."




No comments:

Post a Comment